SUSTAINABLE GLOBAL EXPERIENCE™
1 Week In Amsterdam And 1 Week Online
In collaboration with the Carbon Literacy Project, this innovative and carbon-conscious programme includes a 5-night Sustainable Field Trip in Amsterdam and a Carbon Literacy Training to improve students’ understanding of climate change and carbon emissions.
- Sustainably travel to, and explore an exciting new country
- Take part in an accredited CL training to become certified as Carbon Literate
- Increase your digital, employability, cultural and workplace skills on Pagoda’s certified online skills courses
- Enhance professional networks by joining the Pagoda Global Community and connecting with sector experts from around the globe
- Develop a range of transferable skills through Enquiry-Based Learning (EBL) including comprehension, analysis, critical thinking, research, evaluation & presentation
- Group travel between campus & Mainland Europe
- Carbon emissions offset by 150%
- Tours, masterclasses & networking events
- Engage with public & private sector organisations
- Sector-specific focus, with sustainability embedded throughout
- Shared hostel accommodation included
- Full on-site support from Pagoda
- Understand the theory of climate change and sustainable practices
- 2 mandatory 3-hour sessions
- Opportunity to be awarded a uniquely-coded Carbon Literacy certificate
BROWSE THE TABS FOR MORE INFORMATION
Pagoda will host a virtual pre-departure event where participants will have the chance to have their questions answered. A recording of the event will be provided to those unable to attend.
Accredited by the Manchester-based Carbon Literacy Project, participants will receive Carbon Literacy Training and an official certificate upon completion.
Carbon Literacy is defined as “an awareness of the carbon dioxide costs and impacts of everyday activities, and the ability and motivation to reduce emissions, on an individual, community and organisational basis.”
The training, developed by the Carbon Literacy Project, is globally unique and was recognised as such by the UN at COP21, where it was awarded as a TAP100, one of 100 Worldwide Transformative Action Programs. It has been implemented by more than 1700 organisations worldwide, including the NHS, the BBC, and the Machester City Council.
By incorporating Carbon Literacy Training into this programme, we aim to equip students with a solid educational foundation and understanding of the importance of adopting a carbon-conscious lifestyle.
- 5-night field trip to Amsterdam, giving participants hands-on industry experience in a global context
- Introduction to a carbon-conscious culture
- Any carbon generated will be offset 150% through Gold Standard offsetting projects
- Sustainability themes weaved throughout each component of the programme
|SUNDAY||Arrival & welcome dinner|
|MONDAY||Orientation & project setup||Sustainable city tour|
|TUESDAY||Masterclasses at sector-aligned businesses in the city/region||Group project work and free time to explore|
|WEDNESDAY||Tours at sector-aligned businesses in the city/region||Group project work and free time to explore|
Q&A with industry professionals
|FRIDAY||Carbon conscious tourist activity||Departure|
According to the International Energy Alliance’s (IEA) 2020 Tracking Transport Report, ships, planes and road-vehicles make up almost three-quarters of global transport emissions.
Urban and high-speed trains are one of the most sustainable, long-distance transport methods. Eurostar’s high-speed trains are the most carbon-efficient option when travelling between London and neighbouring European cities.
On average, travelling on the Eurostar emits 10 times less carbon per passenger compared to a short-haul flight to the same destination.
In line with the programme’s core ethos, transportation during the programme is exclusively via public transport and walking.
To reflect the programme’s core ethos, participants will stay at high-quality hostels, which both support and demonstrate sustainable and environmental practices.
Hostels are situated in, or are in close proximity to the city centre, with excellent public transport links.
In addition to the other programme components, Pagoda will arrange for students to take part in guided tours around the best attractions the city has to offer.
All entrance fees are covered as part of the programme and the group will be fully supported and supervised throughout the activity by a friendly member of the Pagoda staff.
Participants will have their evenings free throughout the programme to explore the city and bond with their fellow teammates. A Digital Welcome Pack of the city’s (arguably) best sustainable attractions, shops and restaurants will be provided.
Pagoda’s app is built for communities and allows users to engage, share and communicate with each other whilst maintaining a high level of privacy.
Maintain communication with Pagoda before, during, and after the programme.
Pagoda Projects have developed a series of skills courses set to encourage the development of the learner’s current skillset and improve their ‘work readiness’ for a post-pandemic career.
These courses prepare the learner with the knowledge required to communicate effectively within an international working-group or team, tackle the job market with confidence and have a strong understanding of ‘digital’ implications of work. As qualifications remain a vital measure of achievement, a certificate is provided following each completed Pagoda skills course.
Global Alumni Community
Connect with other participants and students from other programmes all around the world.
Application Deadline: 27th January 2023
Programme Dates (Field Trip): 23rd July to 28th July 2023
- 5 January 2023 | 12:30 | Register Here
- 16 January 2023 | 13:00 | Register Here
- 9 February 2023 | 14:30 | Register Here
The info sessions are completely non-commital and if you can’t make it you can always register and we’ll send you the recording after. The only people with cameras on will be the hosts and we’ll use the Q&A box to ask questions.
CAPITAL OF THE NETHERLANDS
Amsterdam is currently ranked 5th in most eco-friendly cities and has pledged to be emission-free by 2030. Home to front-running green initiatives, this city is the perfect location to explore sustainability. Wander around the Amsterdam canals, taste a stroopwafel, and try not to get hit by a bike!
This programme is fully funded by the university.
A £50 GBP refundable deposit will be invoiced to students who have been allocated a place on the programme.
Deposits are refunded at the successful end of the programme, deducting any cleaning fees or damage to the accommodation.
Please note that daily spending money for food is not covered by our programme fees.