Position Code: LISDE01
This is a vertical farming start-up in Lisbon. They make cities more sustainable, resilient, and healthy by creating centres of food production in centres of food consumption. Their core technology is a rotating vertical farm system, housed in greenhouses, requiring no artificial lighting or climate control. They combine the production of huge amounts of food with the ethos of community gardening, so that the groups we feed learn how to grow their own food, and enjoy its benefits for health and the environment. Their primary clients are therapeutic and educational institutions eg. schools, hospitals, care homes, prisons. But they also serve commercial institutions that want to reduce their carbon footprint and improve the health and wellbeing of their clients and staff.
Role: Micro-Greenhouse Designer
- This company is designing a bespoke greenhouse for our rotating vertical farm towers.
- Your role is to design this greenhouse, in collaboration with our architectural and horticultural staff.
- You will analyze the range of materials and suppliers available to us in southwest Europe, talk to suppliers and manufacturers and get prices for their services.
- You will construct a spreadsheet or database that compares the available options across a range of technical and UX indicators.
- A particular focus will be on structural stability, and how to avoid the use of concrete foundations to anchor a 7m tall building.
- Another key focus will be on the pros and cons of different cladding materials. Should the company use polycarbonate or shade screens, a combination of the two, or something entirely different?
- The ideal candidate will be able to assess these options in the context of light, heat, humidity, thermal stability, wind, insect control, user interface, yield implications, financial and environmental costs, and the myriad other factors that inform our decision.
The ideal candidate for this role will be:
- In a technical field such as engineering, agri-tech, agriculture, or horticulture
- Confident with quantitative analyses, the construction of spreadsheets and databases
- Able to use 3d modelling software such as SketchUp (this is not a requirement, but would be beneficial)