Position Code: BERENG01
This is a company passionate about climate & sustainability. You will be working at a young start-up that aims to tackle one of humanity’s biggest challenges: reversing global warming.
This company reverses climate change by dramatically cutting costs of Direct Air Capture leveraging cooling towers around Europe.
According to the IPCC, the UN expert panel on climate change, we will have to remove over 10 billion tons of CO₂ from the atmosphere annually. This is due to the fact that some industries will not be able to cut their emissions completely, for example, agriculture and aviation.
Capturing CO₂ directly from the air – is the only technology that enables this to be achieved on an industrial scale. However, today, Direct Air Capture systems are too expensive and time-consuming to build, preventing humanity from reaching this goal on time.
By retrofitting existing infrastructure without impacting its original function, the time and cost needed to set up a carbon-capturing system are improved by up to 10x. Indeed, millions of existing cooling towers around Europe continuously circulate massive amounts of air to remove heat from industrial plants and buildings. By efficiently retrofitting those towers, they remove the carbon dioxide from all this air at a very low additional cost. Several billion tons of CO₂ could be captured this way annually, a huge share of humanity’s long-term needs.
Role: Mechanical Engineering Intern
As a Mechanical Engineering Intern or Thesis Student, you will be part of the product team, working closely with the Head of R&D. Here you will gain deeper insights into a highly relevant field of the future. In practice, you will help design, construct and test one of our direct capture prototypes:
- Support the development of a direct capture process
- Dimension and select suitable components for the process
- Design a vacuum chamber for our prototype and early product versions
- Help construct a vacuum chamber and other components of the prototype
- Help testing prototypes and early product versions
- Support laboratory operations and experiments
- Student in Mechanical Engineering (or related disciplines)
- Knowledge of mechanics and strength of materials (forces acting on objects/structures)
- Understanding the physical properties of various plastics and metals
- Product design, ideally with CAD software (i.e. Solidworks, AutoCAD, SiemensNX)
- Manually skilled and enjoys hands-on, practical work in a workshop setting
- Availability for 3-6 month
- Passionate about climate and sustainability
- Interest in performing an internship or writing a final thesis