Internship Reference: MANCO01
This organisation is a unique, innovative, business-led initiative aimed at increasing Greater Manchester’s commercial connectivity with China. Leveraging public and private sector expertise/leadership focused around priority sectors, the Forum has gained a reputation as the trusted vehicle to develop commercial and cultural ties between Manchester and China.
Established in 2013 by former Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne MP, the organisation has received acclaim as a highly innovative and successful initiative that works to ensure Manchester is equipped and ready for China’s rapid growth and the opportunity that this presents.
The organisation is a public-private partnership with strong links and influence, allowing it to drive forward the Manchester-China agenda. This approach has strengthened the region’s relationship with China and has resulted in an increase in commercial activity, the launch of direct routes to Beijing and Hong Kong, and President Xi’s visit to the city.
Manchester has also seen a rapid rise in both Chinese tourist and student numbers since the organisation began. As the Manchester-China relationship continues to develop we are continuing to welcome many high level political visits to the city, and engaging with Chinese businesses such as Huawei, Tencent and Alibaba to ensure that Manchester is in the best place possible to take advantage of opportunities that China presents.
The Intern will work collaboratively with both Project Managers and Executive Director to directly support the team with key activities/tasks across all sectors, adding value towards strategic aims and objectives. All assignments will help add commercial value to the organisation and develop GM-China relations whilst providing significant hands-on exposure and insight to the China market. The intern will gain:
- Exposure to and networking with key Chinese business leaders in Greater Manchester, the North and the UK
- Development/application of Mandarin in professional business environment
- Mentorship by member of our team to help develop areas of interest and explore future career opportunities
- Provide general project support to the organisation team, with exposure to all key development sectors (Infrastructure/Regeneration, Trade, Energy, Advanced Manufacturing, Education, Visitor Economy and Football)
- Marketing support for incoming delegations and UK events, in collaboration with Marketing Manchester’s China Team
- Organizational and on-the-day support with high-level business, political and cultural Chinese delegations visiting Manchester
- Project management of Forum strategy to develop understanding of ‘China Opportunity’ to local student community
- Help to develop, maintain and update the organisation’s social media accounts in line with our strategy and targets
- Coordination of marketing/finances for key Forum meetings/events
- Ad-hoc administrative support when required
- Awareness of Chinese culture and market
- Basic business/commercial understanding/acumen
- Interest in developing understanding of China and Chinese market
- Mandarin language knowledge would be advantageous
- Drafting and writing effective social media posts
- Knowledge of office IT systems, particularly Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Self-starter; able to work on own initiative
- Ability to work effectively in small teams
- Customer focused; professional manner towards external parties
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Time management; ability to deliver high quality work within agreed timescales
- Attention to detail
- Punctual and attentive
- Pride in consistently delivering work to required standards and deadlines