Pagoda Projects are delighted to offer of our 10-Week Cultural Mentor Programme for York St John students!
In the post-pandemic world, our mission remains focussed on increasing cultural understanding, developing employability skills and helping our participants to gain valuable experiences in new and innovative ways.
We’ve designed this exciting new programme for the upcoming summer, for the students who are looking to enhance their future prospects through a fun and interactive course, with minimal commitment of time and that’s flexible to work around your busy lives!
GAIN INSIGHT TO NEW AND INTERESTING SECTORS
GAIN INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE WITHOUT LEAVING YOUR HOME
LEARN NEW AND RELEVANT SKILLS FOR YOUR EMPLOYABILITY
- A full induction to the Pagoda Projects APP from a member of the UK team.
- Paired with a cultural mentor from one of our amazing overseas destinations and provided the platform to discuss interesting topics selected by Pagoda.
- Access to the Cultural Fluency, Pagoda Skills Course and a certificate on completion.
- Opportunity to network with current participants completing a similar variation of our programme from around the world.
- Fully support from the UK and international Pagoda team throughout the duration of the programme.
- Access to the Pagoda Projects alumni network, with over 3,000 past participants of our programmes and where exclusive international job opportunities are posted regularly.
- Fully funded programme for up to 20 students, thanks to the lovely team at YSJU!
Start Date: 7th June 2021
End Date: 6th August 2021
This programme is incredibly flexible, as you’ll simply be required to connect with your assigned Cultural Mentor for at least one call a week, lasting no longer than 30 minutes!
Throughout the 10-weeks, you’ll be able to explore the Pagoda App, connect with the hundreds of other students completing our various programmes from around the world, attend some free events and enjoy the digital world of Pagoda around your existing commitments!
DEADLINE TO APPLY – 3rd May 2021
HOW IT WORKS
Submit an application below, including a motivational statement of why you would like to take part and one of the friendly Pagoda UK team will respond within 1 business day to confirm your application has been received.
Shortly after the deadline and if selected for the programme, you will be issued a booking form that summarises the programme t&c’s, which is something you’ll need to look over carefully and sign to finalise your place on the programme.
When you’ve confirmed your place on the programme, our team will be in touch with the initial steps of the onboarding process to the Pagoda App and begin the process of matching you with a Cultural Mentor.
A UNIQUE WAY TO SHARE CULTURES
As part of the programme, the participants will be partnered with a ‘Cultural Mentor’, who will help them to increase their intercultural awareness. This cultural exposure will also bridge barriers and connect students and graduates from all corners of the globe.
– Be paired with a Cultural Mentor based on common interests/areas of study to schedule one audio or video call each week.
– Provided with a theme (e.g. festivals/traditions, food music/arts etc.) to discuss and share knowledge and experiences in relation to home country culture
– Produce a weekly Cultural Blog sharing what they have learnt with inclusions of videos, pictures etc.
– Interact with the Cultural Mentor and Intern Community in online events and discussions
What are the skills courses?
Pagoda Projects have developed a series of skills courses set to encourage the development of student and recent graduate’ current skillset with the fundamental elements needed to improve their ‘work readiness’ for a post-pandemic business world.
The skills series includes courses focusing on Intercultural Fluency, Employability and Digital Competency. We believe this framework provides the learner with the agility needed for a global and ever-changing workplace, preparing them with the knowledge to communicate effectively within an international work-group or team, tackle the job market with awareness, preparation and confidence and have a strong understanding of the importance of ‘digital’ once they enter the workplace.
As qualifications remain a vital measure of achievement, a certificate is provided following each completed course.
Why are they important?
Based on the Universities UK – Higher Education in England: Provision, Skills and Graduates Survey, ‘for both graduates of all levels and subject areas, skills and competencies came first (82.4% reported this to be a formal or important requirement), followed by relevant work experience (66.7%)’ when asked what mattered most when entering the labour market and attaining a job. Similarly, 87% of employers listed attitudes and aptitudes for work more important than relevant work experience, degree result and degree subject when hiring a graduate.
This coherence between student and employer views supports our framework in being able to provide learners with accessible skills courses that can be integrated into professional internships; this would allow them to achieve both the first and second most important values when attaining employment. For non-placement learners, these courses may be integrated into course projects or their own self-development actions, allowing the learner to practice their new skills in real-time.
EXPAND A COURSE FOR MORE INFORMATION
This course is designed to provide an understanding of the importance of adaptability when dealing with intercultural communication in both the workplace and society. There will be a focus on the foundations of intercultural understanding and developing the individual’s cultural fluency, as well as various case studies focusing on Greater China, Mexico and Vietnam.
By completing this course, students will be working towards the following key competencies:
By the end of this course, students will have achieved the following:
- Have created a written article examining the culture of a specific country
- Have self-assessed their knowledge of intercultural communication and how they can improve management of these
- Understand how to adapt this knowledge into the real working world through business-scenario case studies
DON’T FORGET TO APPLY BEFORE THE DEADLINE – 3rd MAY 2021