An innovative, inclusive, environmentally sustainable global experience.
After welcoming 200 students in 2022 we are expanding on the success of our Sustainable Global Experience (SGE) program by offering a limited number of cohorts to partners in North America. Students will develop key skills relevant to their future careers, gain a global perspective and become Carbon Literate.
In 2019 we spoke to our university partners and conducted an anonymous survey. The results showed that we needed to provide more opportunities that are:
- Closer to home
- Short in duration
- Lower cost per student
- With a lower carbon footprint
For 3 years we’ve developed a program in response to these demands and the result is Sustainable Global Experience™. This innovative program gives students from all backgrounds an in-person global experience whilst making a positive impact on the environment.
The program is carbon negative with all carbon emissions kept as low as possible and those that are emitted are offset by 150%.
Participants will develop skills to use in their graduate career, grow their global mindset and become carbon literate.
4+6 Sustainable Field Trip
- 4 nights in London + 6 nights in Amsterdam or Brussels
- Pre-departure support and orientation
- Cohorts of 15 students participating alongside 15 students from one of Pagoda’s British University partners.
- Carbon emissions offset by 150%
- Return Eurostar travel between London and Brussels/Amsterdam
- Tours, masterclasses & networking in Brussels
- Engage with public & private sector organisations
- Sector-specific focus, with sustainability embedded throughout
- Hostel accommodation included
- Airport pickup & full on-site support from Pagoda
- US Airport transfers and flights are not included.
- Join a global community through the Pagoda App
- Carbon Literacy Training
- Access to 4 Pagoda Online Skills Courses
- Access to a library of specialised online events
- Join Pagoda’s Alumni Community
- Pagoda Completion Certificate & Digital Badges
- Build new, meaningful relationships by working alongside students from the UK & Mainland Europe
- Provide all students with a hands-on experience in a genuine professional context
- Deepen understanding of carbon emissions, sustainable living and sustainable industry
- On average, 92% of participants on our digital programs see an increase in their cultural fluency
- Enhance professional networks by joining the Pagoda global community and connecting with sector experts from around the globe
- Develop a range of transferable skills through enquiry-based Learning (EBL) including comprehension, analysis, research,
evaluation & presentation
- Reflect on skills development linked to Pagoda’s 8 competencies and successfully articulate these to future employers
4 nights in London and 6-nights in Brussels, giving participants hand-on industry experience in a global context.
Careful planning to minimize the carbon impact of the trip.
Any carbon generated will be offset >150% through local gold standard offsetting projects.
Sustainability themes weaved throughout each component of the trip.
|WEDNESDAY||Arrival in the United Kingdom & Welcome Dinner|
|FRIDAY||Sightseeing & workshops|
|SATURDAY||Museum Visits & workshops|
|SUNDAY||Travel to Brussels via Eurostar|
|MONDAY||Orientation & project setup||Sustainable city tour. Talk and Q&A with key private and public sector figures|
|TUESDAY||Tours & Masterclasses at sector-aligned businesses in the city/region||Group project work|
|WEDNESDAY||Group project work and free time to explore||Networking event|
|THURSDAY||Tours & Masterclasses at sector-aligned businesses in the city/region||Farewell dinner|
|FRIDAY||Group project presentations, feedback & reflection||Departure back to London|
Accredited by the UK-based Carbon Literacy Project, participants will receive Carbon Literacy Training and an official certificate on completion.
Carbon Literacy is defined as “an awareness of the carbon dioxide costs and impacts of everyday activities, and the ability and motivation to reduce emissions, on an individual, community and organisational basis.”
More than 1700 organisations across the UK and internationally have empowered their teams with the award-winning Carbon Literacy training, including the NHS, the BBC, and Manchester City Council.
By incorporating Carbon Literacy Training in this programme, we aim to equip participants with a solid educational foundation and understanding of the importance of cultivating a low carbon culture, and how to action this in their day-to-day lives.
Pagoda Skills Courses
Pagoda Projects have developed a series of skills courses set to encourage the development of the learner’s current skillset and improve their ‘work readiness’ for a post-pandemic career.
These courses prepare the learner with the knowledge required to communicate effectively within an international working-group or team, tackle the job market with confidence and have a strong understanding of ‘digital’ implications of work. As qualifications remain a vital measure of achievement, a certificate is provided following each completed Pagoda skills course.
Pagoda’s Portal is built for communities and allows users to engage, share and communicate with each other whilst maintaining a high level of privacy.
We aim to take students from any background to the world through an innovative education program. We achieve this through our 14-years experience in international higher education and through collaborations with other Manchester success stories, such as the Carbon Literacy Project.
This innovative and environmentally sustainable program includes pre-departure orientation, 4 nights in London a 6-night sustainable field trip to Brussels.
The program will provide students with the opportunity to collaborate, and to complete an Enquiry-based Learning (EBL) group project.
Participants will finish with a comprehensive skill set and network to better prepare themselves as sustainably-minded future global graduates entering the post-pandemic world of work.
SGE Brussels Programme Review
SGE Brussels Reference Interview
2022 Results based on post-program survey of 149 participants.
I would recommend this programme
I am more motivated to live sustainably
Program impact on overall university experience
London is the world-leading capital of the United Kingdom and the largest metropolis in Western Europe. The city is the world’s oldest and most influential business centre due to its long history of international activities and financial investments.
The City of London recognizes the importance of reducing greenhouse gas emissions with world-leading initiatives for sustainable mass transit, energy efficiency and renewable energy.
What’s more, the Greater London Metro area has over 35,000 acres of public green spaces and is considered one of the top world cities for green buildings.
Brussels, is a vibrant and multicultural city located in North-West Europe and is the political, economic and culture centre of Belgium.
Even if you haven’t visited Brussels before, you no doubt know a few things about the city already: it’s the centre of European decision-making, produces world-class beer, mouth-watering chocolate and waffles. Now what you may not realise is that the city offers a unique blend of culture, international business and leisure all combined with its own distinct national flavour. Evolving from a combination of Flemish, Walloon, European and global influences, Brussels is a true melting pot.
Brussels boasts the title of the greenest capital in Europe. Just over 50% of the city is classified as green space, this is achieved by a succession of parks which wind their way through the urban landscape.
GET IN TOUCH
LET’S DISCUSS YOUR REQUIREMENTS AND CONFIRM PRICING