SUSTAINABLE GLOBAL EXPERIENCE™
1 WEEK IN AMSTERDAM OR BRUSSELS, 1 WEEK ONLINE
In collaboration with the Carbon Literacy Project, this innovative and carbon-conscious programme includes a 5-night Sustainable Field Trip in Amsterdam or Brussels and a Carbon Literacy Training to improve students’ understanding of climate change and carbon emissions.
- Sustainably travel to, and explore an exciting new country
- Take part in an accredited CL training to become certified as Carbon Literate
- Increase your digital, employability, cultural and workplace skills on Pagoda’s certified online skills courses
- Enhance professional networks by joining the Pagoda Global Community and connecting with sector experts from around the globe
- Develop a range of transferable skills through Enquiry-Based Learning (EBL) including comprehension, analysis, critical thinking, research, evaluation & presentation
- Group travel between campus & Mainland Europe
- Carbon emissions offset by 150%
- Tours, masterclasses & networking events
- Engage with public & private sector organisations
- Sector-specific focus, with sustainability embedded throughout
- Shared hostel accommodation included
- Full on-site support from Pagoda
- Understand the theory of climate change and sustainable practices
- 2 mandatory 3-hour sessions
- Opportunity to be awarded a uniquely-coded Carbon Literacy certificate
BROWSE THE TABS FOR MORE INFORMATION
Pagoda will host a virtual pre-departure event where participants will have the chance to have their questions answered. A recording of the event will be provided to those unable to attend.
Accredited by the Manchester-based Carbon Literacy Project, participants will receive Carbon Literacy Training and an official certificate upon completion.
Carbon Literacy is defined as “an awareness of the carbon dioxide costs and impacts of everyday activities, and the ability and motivation to reduce emissions, on an individual, community and organisational basis.”
The training, developed by the Carbon Literacy Project, is globally unique and was recognised as such by the UN at COP21, where it was awarded as a TAP100, one of 100 Worldwide Transformative Action Programs. It has been implemented by more than 1700 organisations worldwide, including the NHS, the BBC, and the Machester City Council.
By incorporating Carbon Literacy Training into this programme, we aim to equip students with a solid educational foundation and understanding of the importance of adopting a carbon-conscious lifestyle.
- 5-night field trip to Amsterdam, giving participants hands-on industry experience in a global context
- Introduction to a carbon-conscious culture
- Any carbon generated will be offset 150% through Gold Standard offsetting projects
- Sustainability themes weaved throughout each component of the programme
|SUNDAY||Arrival & welcome dinner|
|MONDAY||Orientation & project setup||Sustainable city tour|
|TUESDAY||Masterclasses at sector-aligned businesses in the city/region||Group project work and free time to explore|
|WEDNESDAY||Tours at sector-aligned businesses in the city/region||Group project work and free time to explore|
Q&A with industry professionals
|FRIDAY||Carbon conscious tourist activity||Departure|
According to the International Energy Alliance’s (IEA) 2020 Tracking Transport Report, ships, planes and road-vehicles make up almost three-quarters of global transport emissions.
Urban and high-speed trains are one of the most sustainable, long-distance transport methods. Eurostar’s high-speed trains are the most carbon-efficient option when travelling between London and neighbouring European cities.
On average, travelling on the Eurostar emits 10 times less carbon per passenger compared to a short-haul flight to the same destination.
In line with the programme’s core ethos, transportation during the programme is exclusively via public transport and walking.
To reflect the programme’s core ethos, participants will stay at high-quality hostels, which both support and demonstrate sustainable and environmental practices.
Hostels are situated in, or are in close proximity to the city centre, with excellent public transport links.
In addition to the other programme components, Pagoda will arrange for students to take part in guided tours around the best attractions the city has to offer.
All entrance fees are covered as part of the programme and the group will be fully supported and supervised throughout the activity by a friendly member of the Pagoda staff.
Participants will have their evenings free throughout the programme to explore the city and bond with their fellow teammates. A Digital Welcome Pack of the city’s (arguably) best sustainable attractions, shops and restaurants will be provided.
Pagoda’s app is built for communities and allows users to engage, share and communicate with each other whilst maintaining a high level of privacy.
Maintain communication with Pagoda before, during, and after the programme.
Pagoda Projects have developed a series of skills courses set to encourage the development of the learner’s current skillset and improve their ‘work readiness’ for a post-pandemic career.
These courses prepare the learner with the knowledge required to communicate effectively within an international working-group or team, tackle the job market with confidence and have a strong understanding of ‘digital’ implications of work. As qualifications remain a vital measure of achievement, a certificate is provided following each completed Pagoda skills course.
Global Alumni Community
Connect with other participants and students from other programmes all around the world.
Application Deadline: 28th November 2023
Brussels Programme Dates (Field Trip): 25th June to 30th June 2023
Amsterdam Programme Dates (Field Trip): 6th August to 11th August 2023
- 3 November 2022 | 13:30 to 14:30 GMT | Register Here
- 22 November 2022 | 15:30 to 16:30 GMT | Register Here
The info sessions are completely non-commital and if you can’t make it you can always register and we’ll send you the recording after. The only people with cameras on will be the hosts and we’ll use the Q&A box to ask questions.
CAPITAL OF THE NETHERLANDS
Amsterdam is currently ranked 5th in most eco-friendly cities and has pledged to be emission-free by 2030. Home to front-running green initiatives, this city is the perfect location to explore sustainability. Wander around the Amsterdam canals, taste a stroopwafel, and try not to get hit by a bike!
CAPITAL OF BELGIUM
Being home to the EU parliament and commission, Brussels is hugely influential in fighting climate change. It is one of the greenest capitals in Europe working towards a circular economy. Stroll through the cobbled streets, try Belgian waffles and visit the world’s biggest beer selection!
This programme is partially-funded through Cardiff University for eligible students. Students will need to pay £500 GBP to help cover accommodation, transport, some meals, and some activities.
Students from disadvantaged backgrounds may also be eligible to receive an additional £200 GBP university grant to help offset these costs.
In addition, a £50 GBP refundable deposit will be invoiced to students who have been allocated a place on the programme. Deposits are refunded at the successful end of the programme, deducting any cleaning fees or damage to the accommodation.
Two week School of Law study tour in Taipei, Taiwan.
The goal of this Pagoda program is to foster a deep understanding of Taiwanese legal, economic and social transformation.
Students will take part in a two week program that will explore the Taiwanese legal system and Taiwanese culture. Hosted by Pagoda Projects, Soochow University and Chinese Culture University, students will be exposed to the professional and cultural landscape of Taipei.
The programme is designed in collaboration with and hosted by the WSU Law School. Applicants must first apply via the application accessible here.
During the two week program, classes will be led by Taiwanese academics, with opportunities to gain expert understanding of the Taiwanese legal system. The programme will be complemented by first-hand exposure to Taipei via government and financial sector engagements, tailored language training and visits to sites of cultural and historical significance. Students will become experienced global citizens invigorated by opportunities to broaden your international professional and social networks.
Scheduled Activities include*:
- Chinese language classes
- Bespoke law sessions with Soochow University and Chinese Culture University
- Presentations from prestigious Taipei law firms Lee and Li & Washington Group & Associates
- Networking with Australia New Zealand Chamber of Commerce
- Walking City Tour & Shilin Nightmarket Visit
- ANZ Chamber Presentation
- Presentation from the Talent Circulation Alliance
- Visit to Presidential Hall
- Dadaocheng Walking tour and dinner at Ningxia Nightmarket
- Taipei Nightlife Experience
- Visit The National Human Rights Museum
- Tour of the Legislative Yuan
- Relax at Beitou Hotsprings
- Taiwan NextGen Foundation: A Background into Taiwan’s recent Foreign Policy and Diplomacy
- Karaoke TV night!
- Tour of National Palace Museum
*Activities subject to change
What’s Included in the program funding?
- Hotel Accommodation (based on twin sharing)
- All meals or stipend for none-hosted meals
- Transfer to and from the airport in Taipei
- Medical and travel insurance (provided by WSU)
- Support before, during and after the trip
- Visa invitation letter, support and costs for application and required supporting items will be reimbursed *
- Orientation presentation
- 24/7 emergency contact person
- All entrance fees and transport costs
- Access to our exclusive alumni network
* Does not include non-direct costs associated with acquiring visa such as transport. Participants will not be refunded for unsuccessful visa applications or where participants do not ultimately take part in this programFunding Criteria
- Students must fill NCP Eligibility Criteria to receive funding
- Students must be approved by WSU School of Law
Program dates – 3rd December 2022 to 17th December 2022 (2 weeks)
Please note that this does not include quarantine. We will provide information on any additional required quarantine before flights are arranged, in which case it may be necessary for participants to arrive at least three days earlier, and quarantine at additional expense as required by the Republic of China border controls and immigration policy.
Apply to Pagoda Projects and WSU to register your interest
We will confirm your eligibility with your university, inform you of what funding you are entitled to and costs if committing to the program.
When you’re happy to commit, complete our booking form to confirm your place on the programme and work with our team to prepare everything you need!
Please watch this video to find out more about this wonderful destination
International / Diverse / Exciting
Remember that you need to first apply through the WSU Law School. This application is accessible here.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